Sat, Jun 03|
Oxbow Park (Gresham, OR)
Heartland River Walk
Finding wisdom by moving with the land
Time & Location
Jun 03, 2023, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Oxbow Park (Gresham, OR), 3010 SE Oxbow Pkwy, Gresham, OR 97080, USA
About the event
"We seem to have forgotten how we can heal by yawning, sleeping, walking the land, linking our bodies to the vibrant energy field of the earth, skin to dirt, clean air to lungs, fractal roots to soil, head to miracles…"
Contemplative walking is an ancient practice found across cultures and throughout all of human history. Each of us have ancestors who left their homes to walk the land in search of wisdom, guidance, and healing. Ancient Celts went out on Hill Walks, Thai monks practice meditative walks through the jungle, Australian Aboriginals have Walkabouts, Native Americans have the practices of the Medicine Walk and the Vision Quest, plus countless forms from other cultures. The threads of all these walking practices weave together, creating a beautiful embodied tradition of humans walking in search of wisdom. Heartland offers walks to continue this long, broad, and important human tradition.
On this Heartland Walk you will:
- Learn about contemplative walking practices and how to access the profound wisdom they offer.
- Step into ceremonial space and take a solo walk through the ancient forests along the Sandy River.
- Slow down, leave the company of other humans and technology and meet the land with your feeling, animal body.
- Encounter the liminal space between worlds - taking a personal mythic journey inward to access your own innate wisdom.
- Integrate with tea and storytelling before returning to your life.
In the Native American tradition of the Medicine Walk, a journeyer might ask “What is my medicine?” and walk the land in search of an answer. The medicine you need for your own healing is often the same medicine your community needs from you. The storyteller Michael Meade talks about this concept by saying "the gift is close to the wound."
- This event is located at Oxbow Regional Park (specific directions about where to meet will be provided after you register.)
- The event begins at 10am and ends at 4pm.
- Please note there is a $5 parking fee and there is no cell phone service in the park!
- There will be a short walk from the parking lot to our meeting place (1/4 mile), besides that participants can walk as short or far as they feel called to. There is no requirement to walk a long distance - rest and reflection during your walk is essential.
- Please register early as there are limited spots and this event is expected to fill up!
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ticket type